Call to Artists
ACNO's LOCAL CREATIVES DIRECTORY
Visual Artists, Musicians, Performing Artists, Literary Artists, Digital Artists, Photographers…..
Submission Date: Ongoing through Covid
In these times of Covid, the Arts Council of the North Okanagan is reaching out to support it’s members by providing them a free platform to market their ‘art’ whether that be visual or otherwise. This online directory allows the community to find and connect with all the best makers, movers, and shakers in the Arts and Culture scene! For some artists, this resource is their one place to have an online presence to help promote their work and for others, it helps extend their reach. People often ask us where they can find artists or musicians, and now we have a one stop shop to refer them to!
Check out our current listings HERE.
Each Artist/ Group will Receive:
- A feature page on the ACNO website
- Social Media Exposure through ACNO’s Facebook and Instagram Pages
- Inclusion on the ACNO Events calendar as time and space permits (previously, the Calendar has been exclusively reserved for ACNO Member Groups)
- Exposure to ACNO’s extensive network of followers, subscribers and stakeholders.
Criteria to Participate:
- You are a member of the ACNO (operator of the Vernon Community Arts Centre)
- You are a working or exhibiting artist (visual artist, solo musician/performer) and/or belong to an artist collective, musical group, member club, festival, not-for-profit, arts school, or small business related to arts and culture.
- You reside and/or work in Greater Vernon, the Regional District of the North Okanagan or surrounding areas.
- Your art is current, and at a professional or semi-professional level. This means you have had some form of income and community-based dealings in the past year (market vendor, exhibitor, live performance, etc). This does not mean you have be a full time artist, or make your living from your art. If you have questions about this, just call. We will try to be as inclusive as possible.
- Depending on the number of submissions, preference will be given to artists or groups that have been impacted by the pandemic (loss of income/sale opportunities, performances, workshops, etc), however, this is not a requirement.
How to Participate
- Submit an artist bio, artist statement, or short description of your art and your background, written in 3rd person, (ie. “Frank is multi-media artist specializing in large metal sculptures…”). Microsoft Word docs are preferred, but PDF’s will be accepted if you do not have MS Word
- Tell us what you like about being an ACNO Member or what Arts and Culture means to you. Include this at the bottom of your bio or artist descriptor. We will use this for an upcoming social media campaign.
- Submit at least one quality image of your artwork (or other suitable image or reference), and no more than 15 images in total. Jpeg format required, with a resolution of 72 PPI preferred
- Submit any public contact information that you want published on your page (email, phone number, business address).
- Submit links to your arts website, social media, and/or Instagram pages if you have them and want them connected to your page or our promotions
Please note: It is the ACNO’s mandate and objective to encourage and promote excellence in the arts. Therefore, ACNO reserves the right to reject submissions that are incomplete, inaccurate, or do not meet with ACNO standards. The ACNO also reserves the right to reject submissions, content, or images that are deemed inappropriate or in contradiction to ACNO values, standards, and policies.
Please submit information to Sheri at [email protected]. If you have any questions about this promo, or your suitability for it, please don’t hesitate to reach out by email, or contact Sheri at 250-542-6243.
Mugs of May - Show & Sale at the VCAC
Potters, Painters, Metal Artists, Wood Turners, Fibre Artists….
…..Let’s Make Mountains of Mugs!
Submission Date: Wednesday, May 5 , 2021
The mug – it is in every home, artist studio, and workplace, and has been an essential accessory for commuters, hikers, nomads, and the like. So let’s celebrate the humble mug and all the simple pleasures surrounding it.
We invite artists of all mediums to create pieces for this unique show and sale.
Let’s fill the Vernon Community Arts Centre with as many mugs as possible, from the functional to the fantastical! This is a special opportunity for potters (or others) to sell your handmade works to all the mug lovers out there! But what else can we conjure up? Mugs can be made of metal, wood, glass, paper, or even fibre. What about using photography to capture moments of mug love? Can you paint a mug with pigments of coffee or tea, or knit one from wool for everyone to see? What feelings and memories do mugs evoke – and how can you translate that into your art? The challenge starts now!
We are not putting a cap on how many functional mugs you want to bring in. This is your opportunity to get in as many sales as possible throughout the month of May. Limits for non-function, fine art pieces are indicated in the Mugs of May – Artist Entry Form
There will be some extra special things happening with this event, but more will be revealed at a later date.
Exhibit Dates: Friday, May 7 to 30
Location: Vernon Community Arts Centre | 2704 A Hwy 6
Drop off: Wed, May 5 | 9:30am-8:30pm
Pick up: Tues, June 1 | 9:30am-8:30pm
If you have questions, please call us at 250-542-6243 or drop by the Arts Centre.
If you have any art related employment opportunities, please email [email protected] and we will be happy to post them.
Instructor - Joining Hands Program
Application Deadline: APRIL 30, 2021
The Arts Council of the North Okanagan is currently accepting applications for an Instuctor for the Joining Hands Program at the Vernon Community Arts Centre.
Part Time Temporary – 1 year Maternity Leave Coverage
Monday and Wednesdays, 9am-5pm – 14 hours/week
Program Coordinator - Summer Art Camp
Application Deadline: APRIL 30, 2021
The Arts Council of the North Okanagan is currently accepting applications for a Program Coordinator for Summer Art Camps at the Vernon Community Arts Centre. This is a Full Time/ Temporary position that runs for 11 weeks starting June 14, 2021. Candidates must be between 15-30 years of age to fit criteria for Student Summer Jobs Grant.
Instructor - Summer Art Camp
Application Deadline: APRIL 30, 2021
The Arts Council of the North Okanagan is currently accepting applications for two Program Instructors for the Summer Art Camps at the Vernon Community Arts Centre. This is a Full Time/ Temporary position that runs for 9 weeks starting June 28, 2021. Candidates must be between 15-30 years of age to fit criteria for Student Summer Jobs Grant.
Application Deadline: April 30, 2021
Cardiff Miller Art is looking to hire a full-time, permanent Workshop Manager. The studio of artists Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller is located in Grinrod BC, about 40 minutes north of Vernon and 20 minutes south of Salmon Arm.
Art Instructors - Vernon Community Arts Centre
Application Deadline: On-Going
Want to teach a class at the Vernon Community Arts Centre? We are always on the lookout for new instructors with fresh ideas! You could offer just one class a year, or multiple. It’s up to you. And whether you are interested in working with youth or adults, or have experience in clay, glass, printmaking, painting, or other mediums, we want to hear from you! Please fill out an application form and drop it off at the Arts Centre. Alternatively, you can email Karin at admi[email protected].
Application Deadline: Until Filled
The Arts Council of the North Okanagan seeks a Volunteer Treasurer to join the Executive team of the Board.
The successful individual should hold a professional designation of CPA or CGA and carry out all functions necessary to ensure the continued financial and legal health of the organization.
Responsibilities include the review and production of financial documents, tax requirements and all documentation required to maintain the ACNO’s non-profit and charitable status.
For more detailed information, and to apply, please contact Barb Keith [email protected]